Status update February 26 2017: Requests are open.
- Review requests are welcome from indie/selfpub authors and larger publishers alike.
- I prefer to have at least three months before the publish date to read and review. Any publish date is okay; I’m no stranger to the backlist.
- I will not read a series out of order unless the book works as a standalone.
- I’m not interested in stories with heavy romance or love triangles.
- My reviews are honest. I will not accept books for review if I don’t think I’ll like them.
- I reserve the right to decline any book at any time for any reason.
- Accepting a review copy does not guarantee a review.
- Reading a book does not guarantee a review.
- ebook (mobi only)
- print (preferred)
- Adult and Young Adult novels (and #ownvoices* Middle Grade)
- Animal point-of-view novels
- Asexual characters
- Deicide plotlines
- Dinosaurs (not paleontology/archaeology!)
- Diverse characters
- Fiction written by non-American authors about their home country
- Historical fiction set in not-America and not-England
- Horses, unicorns, mermaids, etc. as main characters
- LGBTQ+ characters in genre fiction
- Lovecraftian horror
- #Ownvoices stories*
- Romance-free stories
*I understand that authors may not want to out themselves as #ownvoices in many cases. If you aren’t comfortable disclosing that information, that’s okay! There’s no need to tick all (or any) of these boxes, these are just stories I have a particular interest in reading more of.
- Graphic Novels (really any graphic novels, I love them!)
- Historical Fiction
- Mythology/Fairy Tales (including retellings)
- Soft Sci-Fi
- Weird Fiction
Non-Exhaustive List of Genres/Subgenres Not Accepted:
- anything followed by the word “Romance”
- “Chick Lit”
- Hard/Militaristic Sci-Fi
- Mysteries and Crime novels
- Non-Fiction, including Self-Help, Memoirs, Biographies, and Autobiographies
- Religious fiction including fiction with heavy religious undertones
- Satire or Humo(u)r
- Urban Fantasy
- Westerns (exception for fantasy-western and space western)
Places I Post:
Starred sites are those I use most often. I don’t post every review everywhere so if you want it, just ask.
I would be willing to host a giveaway, participate in a blog tour, etc. I will not participate in events that require posts to be solely promotional material.
You can email readstolive [at] gmail dot com if you think I will be interested in your book. Please provide at minimum: your name, the title, publish date, a blurb, and a link to the Amazon page so I can read the sample. I generally will not respond unless I am interested in reading your book due to the volume of requests.
Self-published authors: Please treat me like a person! Emailing just “hello” with a link to your Amazon page is rude. No need to go on for paragraphs of personal stuff about me/my blog, just address me by name please. 🙂